California Corporations Code
Unless the provision or the context otherwise indicates, and except as expressly otherwise provided in this chapter, words used in this division have the meanings prescribed in Part 1 (commencing with Section 25000) of the Corporate Securities Law.
As used in this division "security" includes all of the things enumerated in Section 25019 and also includes shares, stock, and investment certificates as defined in the Savings Association Law.
(a) As used in this division, "individual" includes every natural person, domestic or foreign private corporation, nonprofit corporation, unincorporated association, company, partnership of whatever kind, syndicate, joint stock company, trustee, protective committee, depositors' league, and other similar organization however described.
(b) As used in this division, "individual" does not include any of the following persons:
(1) Any licensed practicing attorney rendering or performing services in connection with the practice of law.
(2) Any person holding a broker-dealer's or investment adviser's certificate then in effect issued by the commissioner, rendering or performing services as such.
(3) Any holder of a permit then in effect, granted by the commissioner under the Corporate Securities Law, permitting the issue of certificates of deposit.
(4) Any securities depository as defined in Section 30004 of the Financial Code, which is licensed under Section 30200 of the Financial Code or exempted from licensing thereunder by Section 30005 or 30006 of the Financial Code.
(5) Any broker licensed by the Real Estate Commissioner of this state rendering or performing services with respect to securities, if the person would not be subject to the broker-dealer certification requirements for effecting transactions in the securities.
(6) Any security owner or holder who, without compensation of any kind, induces or attempts to induce, other security holders or owners of the same issuer into entering into agreements with persons who are excluded from "individual" by virtue of paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive.
If any provision of this division, or the application thereof to any person or circumstance, is held invalid, the remainder of this division, or the application of such provision to other persons or circumstances, shall not be affected thereby.