California Business and Professions Code
As used in this chapter, architect means a person who is licensed to practice architecture in this state under the authority of this chapter.
(a) The practice of architecture within the meaning and intent of this chapter is defined as offering or performing, or being in responsible control of, professional services which require the skills of an architect in the planning of sites, and the design, in whole or in part, of buildings, or groups of buildings and structures.
(b) Architects' professional services may include any or all of the following:
(1) Investigation, evaluation, consultation, and advice.
(2) Planning, schematic and preliminary studies, designs, working drawings, and specifications.
(3) Coordination of the work of technical and special consultants.
(4) Compliance with generally applicable codes and regulations, and assistance in the governmental review process.
(5) Technical assistance in the preparation of bid documents and agreements between clients and contractors.
(6) Contract administration.
(7) Construction observation.
(c) As a condition for licensure, architects shall demonstrate a basic level of competence in the professional services listed in subdivision (b) in examinations administered under this chapter.
This chapter constitutes the chapter on professional architects. It shall be known and may be cited as the Architects Practice Act.
As used in this chapter, board refers to the California Architects Board.